Friday, May 18, 2012

Double Chocolate and Banana Tart-French Fridays with Dorie



This was a good day for being in the kitchen. My baking work table is at a window that looks out on the garden. It was nice to be in the kitchen and see everything coming into bloom while a soft Spring rain was falling. The peacefulness of the scenery helped to calm me. Of course I waited until this morning (the day the French Friday's with Dorie posting is due) to start this recipe. I had reviewed the recipe earlier in the week and knew this wasn't going to be one of those all day baking challenges. And my timing was perfect-too wet to be outside, but perfect to work inside


This is a wonderful dessert . Chocolate shortbread crust,caramelized banana base, bittersweet chocolate ganache and topped with fresh bananas bathed in an apricot gloss.  They will think you labored all day over it. Perfect for a family picnic or an elegant dinner.  Of course you have to love bananas to enjoy this.  I think the caramelized banana base makes this dessert.  I'm thinking of drizzling some caramel sauce over the top of this,but I'm not sure- I love the pure simple appearance of the bananas on top.  Sometimes it is best to leave well enough alone.


Don't be alarmed by the bittersweet chocolate ganache-it's heavenly with the caramelized bananas and the fresh bananas-nothing too over the top,just a sweet caramel tasting biteful.



Head over to French Fridays with Dorie and see what my fellow bakers did with this recipe.  And really this is a fabulous cookbook, if you don't have it, you really should add it to your bookshelf. I have never been disappointed by Dorie's recipes.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

gorgeous tart!

Kathy said...

Your tart looks fabulous…such creamy ganache! Sounds like a perfect day…I love baking on a rainy day!

Anonymous said...

Your tart looks simply wonderful. Glad you had a good baking day to go along with it.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Yours looks so delicious! And yes, caramel would be perfect!

Cher Rockwell said...

I enjoyed the last picture with the ganache oozing over the side.
Arent't those perfect baking days wonderful? Everything just feels right.

Unknown said...

Beautiful and gorgeous photographs as well. Caramel drizzled over it would have been divine!ngti

Unknown said...

That looks really delicious!!!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Yes, I was anticipating a gooey caramel for this tart...I was disappointed with the caramelized bananas in this one. You have the most perfect photos...looks like what I'd expect to find in a magazine...well done!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Your tart looks amazing!

Maggie said...

Absolutely beautiful photos! Your tart looks crazy good!

Roadtrek Girl said...

Heather,Kathy,Cher,Kris,dulceshome,Mireia,Maggie and yummychunklet thank you all for the lovely comments-I'm taking an online photography class and it's been a great help !
Amanda and Heidi,I did add caramel to the ones I sent to work with my husband-was over the top with the caramel !

Betsy said...

I agree that the caramelized bananas made this one. I wish there'd been way more of it. I'd even like a whole tart with just that. Fantastic.