Friday, January 21, 2011

Michel Rostang’s Double Chocolate Mousse Cake-French Fridays with Dorie


I knew I would love this weeks recipe.  Chocolate and mousse together-a wonderfully divine combination.  Mousse is one of my favorite things and chocolate mousse, well it is definitely something I would want on a deserted island along with George Clooney, opps I mean J.  


 I couldn't bear to add ice cream or whipped cream to the plate.  I wanted the pure incredibly rich chocolate taste to be the star.  I read all the P & Q's over at French Fridays with Dorie so I knew what not to do.  I've made a cake similar to this when I worked at the bakery and it was always one of my favorites.  Dorie gives you a couple of variations to try with this cake.  I baked a third of the batter; cooled the cake for 4 hours; added the rest of the mousse batter and baked it again for 30 minutes; then chilled it for another 4 hours. I dusted it with unsweetened cocoa powder. Thank you Dorie - I love love love this version. And don't let the simple appearance of this cake fool you. 


After one bite you will think you just had the most decadent bite  in the world-and you have.  Again simplicity wins out-good ingredients, careful directions and a little love in your heart while cooking equals success.  Speaking of love in your heart-this would make a beautiful Valentine's Day dessert, add a little raspberry coulis around it, top with a bit of whipped cream and a few ripe raspberries-your partner will be forever grateful.


This has espresso in it so it enhances the chocolate. But don't let the fact that this contains espresso  stop you from having an espresso with this slice or an ice cold glass of milk-mmm heaven.  I must confess I went through two slices while setting up to shoot my photos for this.  Ohh, but they were small slices-that's my story and I'm sticking to it !


Head over to French Fridays with Dorie and see the beautiful cakes everyone else created.


16 comments:

Beth said...

Looks absolutly amazing. Your cake is one of the most appealling of the pics I've seen . B:)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It looks so decadent and luscious Sandy. "The list" is growing longer by the minute!!!!

Tammy said...

Hey ... I'm in Seattle, too! Loved this cake and we'll make it again, I'm sure.

Lynn said...

Yours looks wonderful! Those thickness and the pics are well-taken! =)

Anonymous said...

your cake looks amazing. i'm drooling. heading to the kitchen right now but i know i won't find anything as yummy as your cake!

Roadtrek Girl said...

Thank you all for stopping by-this cake is disappearing by the minute-it's hard to resist.

David said...

Wow! Your cake looks magnificent! Mine was trying to look like this, but it had to tend with me making it. Next time I make this, I pray that it will resemble yours

Christina said...

I think yours looks better than the photo in the cookbook!

Elaine said...

Your cake doesn't need adornment - it's simply beautiful! I love the thick dusting of cocoa on the top. I really enjoyed this cake and will make it again and again. Such a cute post!

Kathy said...

George Clooney and Chocolate Mousse Cake…who would mind that? Your cake looks amazing! Glad you enjoyed it!

Cher Rockwell said...

Oh, please send the warm deserted island my way please! It looks beautiful. MMMMM

Anonymous said...

I can understand why pieces disappeared during the photo shoot - yours looks wonderful.

Steph said...

So funny, I had to nibble on mine while shooting it too! Yours looks absolutely fabulous! Nice work.

Ronda Kisner said...

I like it with the cocoa on top.

Roadtrek Girl said...

Wow you folks are fabulous for a girl's ego-thank you all for the lovely comments and feedback-it's been a rough few day and you brought lots of sunshine in to my life-thank you all again.
Sandy

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Gorgeous pictures! Your cake looks like it turned out so rich & amazing!