Saturday, April 23, 2011

New York Crumb Cake-Baked Sunday Mornings


This was an easy uncomplicated recipe and it produced one of my favorite types of cakes-the morning coffee cake.  It also produced a beautiful batter-one I couldn't quit tasting.  I ended up adding a tablespoon of vanilla bean powder to my recipe-just because I love vanilla !  Baked Explorations  recommends making "large" crumbs for the crumb style topping.  I started out large and ended up crumbling the topping into more manageable pieces .  While I love that cinnamon sugar style crumb topping I love the cake even more and that's what I wanted to taste. 

I recently broke my glass 9x13 pan so I did bake this in a metal pan.  I didn't want my sides to crispy so I lined my pan with parchment paper, which made it really easy to remove once it was finished.  I had thought of making this like little individual cakes but then figured I liked the thought of a large coffee cake better.  I think this would have worked beautifully in a bundt type pan too.


My kitchen smelled like I remember my grandmother's kitchen smelling when I was growing up.  That cinnamon cake smell wafted throughout all the rooms.  It was very hard letting this cake cool, I just wanted to slice right into it. And as soon as J got home from work he asked what that wonderful smell was.


We both really enjoyed this.  It was a great way to spend the morning.  Sitting in this wonderful Seattle sunshine, a good cup of espresso and a fresh slice of cake.  Life doesn't get much better, does it ?


Head over to Baked Sunday Mornings and see how everyone else did with this cake. I'm going to have another slice with a cold glass of milk as a late night snack !


17 comments:

Littlebakerbunny said...

This cake really is delicious any time of day... breakfast, lunch, dinner, afternoon or late night snack... And if anything, I think it might get better with time! Great job with the cake!

mike509 said...

Beautiful texture! I love how this smelled during baking as well! Just perfect for a weekend breakfast treat! I used metal too - but really liked the "crusty" edges!

Sheri said...

Gorgeous. I loved this cake.

Elaine said...

Your cake is beautiful, Sandy! Good that you went with your instincts and made a smaller crumb because it makes for a much prettier cake. I liked the crumb topping, but I also liked the cake better. I hope you have a beautiful Easter!

Christina said...

Wasn't this delicious? I wish it hadn't disappeared so quickly! I love the pictures you took- they're beautiful!

Candy said...

I agree that the batter was delicious! Your cake looks gorgeous!

Bourbonnatrix said...

Vanilla bean powder?! I'm sure that added another nice dimension to an already amazing cake!

Rebecca said...

Yours looks great and I agree that it smelled sooo good while baking.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is completely amazing Sandy. I wish my day had have began so deliciously.

Anonymous said...

Now you made me wish I tasted the batter!

Jaime said...

I too loved the smell of this cake baking! Even if the cake ended up tasting terrible (which it didn't), I still would have been happy because the sweet aroma it produced.

I didn't have a glass pan either, so I halved the recipe and baked it in a ceramic pie pan. It turned out wonderfully.

Well done to you!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Oh yea, I love that cinnamon baking smell too, and your cake is beautiful...I liked the cake with ice cream but it was a little too plain for me...next time I will add something too. And I just read where one of your fav songs is Crazy Love...well...I don't find many in that same category with me but that's another thing we have in common.

Unknown said...

Yum! The cake looks amazing! I was actually waiting for this one but didn't notice it fell right in the middle of Passover, so for me it'll have to wait until another time!

Chelly said...

Beautiful!! I am batter taster too...and it was delicious!! And the smell was intoxicating!! I think the next time I make this I will try the little individual cake idea!

Desiree said...

beautiful cake! love the plate!

Candy said...

I loved the batter too! Great photos!

Kristin said...

My family loved this cake! It's probably good that you made the crumb smaller because my crumbs that were big got a little hard and difficult to eat!