Friday, April 13, 2012

Sardine Rillettes-French Fridays with Dorie


It's been quite some time since I participated in French Fridays with Dorie and I was a little hesitant to make this my welcome back to French Fridays with Dorie recipe ! Sardine Rillettes-I'm not a sardine fan, J is. So I thought, what is the worst that can happen ? I will hate it and J will love it and eat it all up.  Well this recipe has turned me into a fan of sardines.  Don't turn your nose up, try it-it's not all fishy and salty and smelly-it's incredibly delicious. Of course it is, why did I even doubt a recipe from Dorie -they are always superb and this one is being added to my appetizer and take on a picnic food repertoire. Yes, it is that good ! 


I recommend you use a good quality sardine-I went for the top of the line at my favorite Metropolitan Market in West Seattle and I was not disappointed.  Angelo Parodi and company did all the skinning and boning for me and the sardines, even before they were added to the mix, were quite tasty.  Dorie suggests either cream cheese or Neufchatel and since this is French Fridays I opted for the Neufchatel. My herb mix was primarily dill with a little parsley and chives thrown in and I finally used up the last of the Meyer Lemons for the lemon juice called for in this recipe.


Served with a side of Cornichons and a glass of wine, perfect for sunny Friday afternoon lunch out in the garden !  Head over to French  Fridays with Dorie and see what my fellow Fridayistas created with this recipe.  Better yet, buy the book and join the fun.  Bon Appetit.









11 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Welcome back! I'm glad this converted you to a sardine fan :) Only the dog and I liked this one!

Roadtrek Girl said...

Ha that's funny, my cat was upset that I wouldn't share-all she got was the empty sardine can and a little oil sprinkled over her food. Having some of this for dinner tonight with a salad and looking forward to it !

Nana said...

Absolutely delicious and inviting. That bread looks
so good. Glad you enjoyed this recipe and welcome back to FFWD. Tricia and I really enjoy posting
our recipes and checking out the other bloggers.
It's great to see the different takes on these recipes.

Roadtrek Girl said...

Thank you Nana, I can't believe I've stayed away this long. Can't wait to continue with Dorie's recipes.

Betsy said...

Despite all the apprehension, I enjoyed this recipe, so it's not a bad one for you to rejoin on. That bread looks amazing.

Amy Andrews said...

You got a great shot w/that pretty baguette slice and cornichon - yummy! Welcome back. A

Cher Rockwell said...

Very pretty presentation!
It is intereting to hear everyone's reactions & how they range the spectrum,
Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

wow your spread looks so happy! :) How exciting that you found that you like sardines after such a simple recipe like this! Welcome back!

Alice @ http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com

Adriana said...

What a great idea to sprinkle sardine oil in the cat's food! If mine were behaving better these days I would definitely indulge her like that. I love the crusty bread - what a great pairing to the creamy rilletes.

Mary Hirsch said...

Welcome back. What a week to come back to, heh? I may not have loved the Sardines Rillettes but I just thought your bread looked fabulous. Very pretty pictures. Nice Post. Mary

Christy said...

Great pairing with the cornichons and wine! Welcome back!